It is important to recognise that even in what appears to be the simplest of incidents it is not always possible to establish if you have a valid claim.
For your application to succeed it must be established that;
  • You have been injured seriously enough to qualify for at least the minimum compensation award (A?1,000). We shall assess the value of your claim for you.
  • You attended a hospital and or your GP doctor for your injuries.
  • You were injured in an act of violence in England, Scotland or Wales. An offender does not necessarily have to have been convicted of, or even charged with that crime.
  • You have made your application within two years of the incident that caused your injury. (The CICAAi??might accept applications outside this limit if in your particular case it wasnai??i??t reasonable for an application form to have been submitted within two years of the incident and there would still be enough evidence for the CICA to consider.)
  • You reported the matter to the police without delay and have co-operated with any prosecution which arose as a result.
The CICA may refuse or reduce an award of compensation because of your behaviour before, during or after the incident in which you were injured, it may do so because of your criminal record or if you have failed to co-operate with the police or because of your delay in informing the incident to the police or other appropriate authority. It is therefore important that you report the incident promptly and fully co-operate with the police during their investigation.
Can I Claim if I have aAi?? Criminal Record?
If at the time of your claim you have an unspent conviction the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board will not pay any compensation to you.
Unspent convictions are Governed by the Rehabilitation Act (as amended by the Legal Aid & Punishment of Offenders Act 2012)
If you have previous convictions that are not spent you shall have to wait until they are before you can make a claim. This may mean that you cannot make a claim because you have to make a claim for compensation within 2 years of the incident. Contact us to find out if your previous convictions are spent.
To make a FREE NO OBLIGATION ENQUIRY or to find out if you are entitled to make a claim for compensation contact us by EmailAi?? at or alternatively simply click the blue button below and complete the form online, we will be in touch with you soon. The enquiry service is Free so you have nothing to worry about.


Click FREE, No Obligation Enquiry Form*